Historical tour of St-Arnoult-en-Yvelines

Hiking advice - Historical route of Saint-Arnoult-en-Yvelines

We invite you to discover the rich history of Saint-Arnoult-en-Yvelines by following this historical circuit created by the Historical Society of Saint-Arnoult.
You will discover the very beautiful Prioral Church, classified as a Historic Monument.

Information about the ride

  • Difficulty
    • Easy
  • Duration ⌚
    • 1h
  • Range ↔
    • 2.5km

Description of the walk

Plate n°1: the dovecote
Le Colombier depended on the Priory farm. This monastery would have been given on April 24, 717, by the diploma of Chilpéric II, to the monks of Saint-Maurdes-Fossés. This document has been challenged by some authors. In 1167, Simon III de Montfort granted the monks of the monastery the right to dispense justice over the entire domain and the keys of the Priory. In 1536, the Priory came under the jurisdiction of François Poncher, commendatory abbot.
April 30, 1702, transfer of the Priory by the Prior of Saint-Arnoult, Archbishop of Paris, to Charles de Rohan.
The farm, the dovecote and the priory were sold as national property during the Revolution of 1789.
The Colombier, 6 meters in diameter, has 500 putlogs, the first row of which is located 1,30m from the ground, out of reach of rats.

Plate n°2: Billoir door
Location of the old boulevards.
This is where the painter André Le Gay de Prelaval and his famous painting, represented on the plaque.
Note the ramparts and the turrets of the gate.

Plate n°3: former place of the grain market
The Grain Market was granted by Louis XII in 1498. In the XNUMXth century, it became one of the most important in the region.
On Tuesday, the bell rang to announce its opening. In the center stood the Croix du Bourg and the Pillory.
At number 43: the Grand Ecu of France.
At number 45: Maison Pasquier, formerly the Petit Écu de France.

Plate n°4: Pasquier house
House of the Pasquier family which housed, in 1830, the visionary Martin de Gallardon and between 1833 and 1836, Karl-Wilhem Naundorff, the so-called Louis XVII. In front of n° 41, rue Charles de Gaulle: the map of the square.

Plate n°5: reconstruction of the old place of the grain market in 1700
According to a plan by Abbé Marchand from 1913, inspired by a cavalier plan from 1699, with the names of the 57 inns,
the residences of the time, the ramparts authorized by François I, according to a letter patent of 1545, the 5 gates of the city: the Porte de Paris, the Porte de Chartres, the Porte du Billoir, the Porte du Coq and the Porte of the Isle.

Plate n°6: the 3 mallets
Residence of the Collector of Cens. It was the house of the surgeon Meilet where died, on April 10, 1834, the Vicar General of Tours, Abbé Fustier, protector of Naundorff. On the right, avenue Henri Grivot, a road created for access to the station of the old Paris/Chartres line, currently Place Jean Moulin.

Plate n°7: Papegauts
Former home of the Crossbowmen. Papegauts were cardboard birds on which crossbow shooters practiced.
At n° 18: the Tripot, the short-palm game room. On the small square, the Memorial of the appeal of June 18, 1940
of General de Gaulle.

Plate n°8: old door of Chartres
This door allowed access to the Pays Carnute.

Door n°9: the large dye house
XNUMXth century residence. Old press. Former Guardhouse, between La Rémarde and Porte de Chartres.
At n° 24, rue Basse: the Grande Tannerie.

Plate n°10: the great tannery
One of the 8 tanneries built on the banks of the Rémarde.
They were very prosperous in the XNUMXth century. Napoleon III came there to stock up on gloves.
At n° 30, rue Basse: the Poupinel tannery with, in the background, its truncated chimney visible from n° 32 and 34.
At no. 38: access the small bridge over the Rémarde, turn left onto the Sente des Essanges.

Plate n°11: the essanges
Large flat stones, usually sandstone, were laid along the Rémarde.
The washerwomen cleaned the laundry there before putting it in the laundry.

Plate n°12: the old turret of the ramparts
Remains of the Porte de l'Isle.
Passage through the ford of Amorteaux allowing to cross the different arms of the Rémarde.

Plate n°13: door of the rooster
The Porte du Coq, or Porte de l'Est, allowed local residents, coming from the rue de la Fontaine, to enter the city and head towards the Prioral Church via the Ruelle Triquedame. This door included an impressive portcullis which gave its name to the property at n° 4 rue de la Fontaine.
At n° 10 rue du Coq: the former inn of the four Aymond sons, now a police station.
On the right, going up rue Eugène Renault, the old prison, currently the press of the association "le Sarment
Arnolphian”.

Plate n°14: The place of the tennis court
this location, by the Prince of Rohan-Rochefort, on August 10, 1781. The cloakroom was transformed into a House
Commune then City Hall.
On the left of rue Eugène Renault (former “rue sous lesmurs”), the remains of the old ramparts.

Plate n°15: The gate of Paris
The painter Gay de Prelaval represented, in 1715, the entrance to the town of Saint-Arnoult, located about 500m from this gate. You can see, on the painting, the Chapel of Saint Fiacre which was part of the old Maladrerie, as well as the cross of the cemetery.
On the right, the Camescasse school group.

Plate n°16: the Bardé horse
House where lived the family of Captain Jean Hubert, commander of the ship l'Indomptable, who died at the
Battle of Trafalgar on October 24, 1805.
He was the husband of Yvonne Hyacinthe de L'Écluse, who died in this house on June 18, 1815.

Plate n°17: the house of the prior (called the requiem)
This is where the Prior lived. He had the right of high, medium and low justice over the fief of the Benedictine Priory.

Plate A: the Boucauderie
Former home of Sieur Boucot. It was part of the Domaine du Mesnil. Louis XIV slept there on May 25 and 26, 1665.
It was the meeting place for pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela who gathered here at Pont Jacquet.

Plate B: fountain of the good Saint-Arnoul
Pilgrims, coming from Longvilliers, took the left bank of the Rémarde, stopped at the Miraculous Fountain and witnessed some miracles of the Holy Bishop.

SAY historical circuit route